Sunday 3 February 2019

Some Interesting Reruns



Stumbling Down Memory Lane


Writing this blog it constantly amazes me to discover where these memories spring from.  Certainly not from my cranium.  I’ve found that when I have an urge to put words to print it’s because someone else has reminded me of an event that may have lain dormant in my memory file.  That of course is what has prompted this posting.


Once again, the indomitable LB is heavily involved in this memory sparking.

On a recent, very snowy, very stormy day, he arrived at my door with a DVD containing almost three-hours of Super Eight movies that he had taken throughout the years.  It was a marvelous gift at a perfect time.  The storm was blasting outside causing all kinds of havoc, whilst I, for three hours, was cozy and warm watching reruns of my life.  Naturally, most of the footage revolved around his immediate family, as it should, but there were enough pieces of the entire Covey to warrant my attempts to extract portions (with the help of my friendly tutor YouTube) then send them via email to all and sundry.

The “all and sundry” part was O.K., the “sending by email” proved to be a little more difficult.
It seems that Gmail has limits to the size of videos it will accept.  While YouTube, Facebook and Vimeo have other restrictions.

Meanwhile, Google suggested that, though they recognise their e-mail restriction is a bit off putting, I might like to try sending my efforts to that great-big-cyber-cloud in the sky, that they call Google Drive.  My first go around was not a success for every recipient but I’m getting a better handle on things now and the only drawback at present seems to be that Google would rather have everyone take a number, get in line and don’t push.

The entire DVD starts off with a visit to Clapham and a little peek at the local pub.  I was hoping to be able to insert a video here.  Sorry not possible as once again there are size restrictions.

Click on this link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12P6h9Ig2N-feZDWkU6LSyiDx8SEG2gun

Time to come back from the pub - 
PARRINGTON HOUSE
click the next link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HVyX5ER3P_EDmOeHoLJL-CRL2LiV3mcK


This following video is not in chronological order - it jumps forward to 1980 - I inserted it here because it makes me feel good when I look at it. 

There's a new purebred dog in LB's household.  Those of you who remember a previous posting will recall the story of wartime BoyBoy from Coventry.  The dog in this video is the first replacement for that long ago canine.  Strangely enough, his name is BoyBoy also!
As anyone (especially LB) can see, this is a fine specimen of an Airedale Terrier! So fine, LB decides he is worthy of  a chance to show his mettle at a local Dog Show!  
LB is nobodies fool.  He has watched those shows on T.V.  and he has noticed that the handlers often have an uncanny resemblance to the dogs they prance around the show-ring with.
Airedale Terriers have a beautiful tight curly coat of hair.  LB doesn't!  He needed to bring his game up a notch, and he needed to practice.  So he did.
He had his hair permed and he practiced the prancing.  Watch the video, you'll see how it's done.
As far as I remember - he did show the dog, and he did win a prize.
Here's the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Af6LPIv802KuxjNWkttWF7cxq5UpBBGV

There's lots more video mining that can be done from this DVD but for now I'll close with the video, that most of you have seen, of the fun day we all had at the Dubois' farm.

This is the link to the Dubois Farm Picnic;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qfRIiw25Ag_Fp4aijglNWC7sfwKA21G9


Some of the things I liked about this video are:
Lisa's skill twirling a baton.
Craig's not so helpful skill of pushing Stan and George into the "Bobbing for Apples" pool.  And then of course, just when you think he is going to play with the darling little baby who is quietly wandering around kicking a ball, he takes the ball and kicks it away!
The big smile on Suzanne's face when she is presented with a bottle of champagne for winning the Scavenger Hunt. I wonder if she ever got to drink any of it?
Leah ignoring everyone as she rests peacefully in her mother's arms. 

I appreciate all the “thank yous” that have been extended to me, but it should be noted that I didn’t take these wonderful Super Eight movies, nor was I involved when LB and Rob converted them to a DVD format, so all of the original thanks go in that direction. 

And, to all of those who sent their thanks with the caveat that the videos made them cry!  Hey! That’s wonderful.  It means that all your bits and pieces are working as they should.  Personally, having watch this DVD over and over again in order to extract these short episodes, I think my tear-duct tank has now emptied and dried up.





No comments:

Post a Comment